Friday, September 11, 2009

Modern Curriculum

Curriculum is the necessary evil in terms of education. Many teachers feel that it is a barrier to their creativity and individuality, while others see it as a guideline and road map on the trip of academics. While I see the necessity of a coherent curriculum, I also see that our country's concept of an effective curriculum is grossly outdated.

While reading Task 1's articles, I initially thought that I had a "favorite". However, the more I read and the more that I evaluated each suggested curriculum structure's philosophies, I realized that there isn't really a "favorite". While each author was waving the flag for their concept, as an objective outsider, I was able to see the valid points of each and realize that usually the best answer is one that is a compromise.

In a "perfect" curriculum, I could see William Wraga's suggested Connected Core Curriculum as a baseline. A curriculum could be established that grants common goals for each subject. My teaching team has a similar structure, where we attempt to combine "themes" across the curriculum. We choose a topic and use it in all core contents, using writing as a connector for each. This is often easier said than done, so a curriculum designed around the Connected Core Curriculum would be very useful. While I understand the philosphy of Arthur Applebee's Conversational Curriculum, I do not think that it would be effective in all areas of teaching at all grade levels and for all students. Intrinsic learners come to mind as being the most negatively effected by a complete curriculum in this format. However, I do feel that the ideas of Conversations could be used within a Connected Core Curriculum. In the same mindset, Grant Wiggins proposal of a curriculum designed to make students more responsible for their education in the form of questions is a much needed concept, I do not see it playing out as the only form of curriculum. A lot of educational programs now are used in this manner, allowing students to reach an understanding on their own terms through manipulatives, questioning, and research.

A curriculum design implementing all three of these philosophies could be the most accurate and effective way to progress in education as the world progresses around us, creating what could truly be termed a Modern Curriculum.

4 comments:

  1. I agree! There is no completely “perfect” curriculum. Every one wants to be the leader of the curriculum revolution. I can see their point of view. However, all the laws are based on the Constitution. There is a standard in which all laws are measured against. The same is true with education. There has to be standards to refer to in measuring students’ growth, and to measure how far we are away from our goal. Like you mentioned, different areas might prefer different “style” curriculum. However, the bottom lime should be to connect to the Core Curriculum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got a smartboard this year and we are enjoying it but when it won't do what I want it to do (because I'm still learning), my students will shout out, I thought it was supposed to be a smart board!
    I felt the same way about what what we read--I think a more thematic approach helps the students experience more and makes it more possible to teach "everything" than if we teach in isolation. I used to teach kindergarten this way years ago--everything revolved around the theme in science or social studies. I took some years off and now that I've returned, I hear nothing about this anymore. Its like all that matters is that you can "check off" the standard. I taught third last year and am in second this year so once again I'm getting used to new materials but I hope to return to thematic teaching. My overall feeling is that I think we just need to stick with something and quit changing. Seems like every ten years we move on to something else.....this isn't enough time to see if anything works. I've come to the conclusion that the only thing consistent in education is change.
    Do you make your own smartboard lessons or do you go online? I haven't had much time to go online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points being raised here- Tiffany- I agree that curriculum is a necessary evil and as CZ pointed out we do need something to hang our hats-- I agree that there is no perfect curriculum and I think that is a good thing- CZ mentioned the constitution and that makes me think about what is different in our country than others and it is that sense of freedom and individuality. That is not to say that we should not have a standard but we should have room for the compromise that Tiffany mentioned and still maintain a degree of creativity. I also liked Karen's perspective from one who has been in and out of education and seen some of the shifts- I agree with her that I am not really crazy about the current shift where we just check things off- but I am not sure where to go next?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree with you! After reading the articles and thinking about my own classroom, I implement all 3 of these ideas not just one. You have to be able to take a little from each one to come up with a "good curriculum."

    ReplyDelete