Monday, November 23, 2009

Inquiry Update 2

My students have been very responsive to the added student engagement activities that I have implemented in D.I. They have been reinforcing letter sounds with the use of hands-on manipulatives and combining sounds to begin fully understanding the early stages of the writing process using the white boards. It has been successful in raising the level of student focus and understanding, and I don't think they dread coming to D.I. nearly as much as before.

My next focus in the process has been comprehension. My students are to the point where they can sound out words, and even sentences...but do they actually understand what they are reading? Is it making any sense to them? In order to provide engaged practice in this area, as well as be able to observe each student individually, I decided to implement an activity my students now refer to as Scramble. After each lesson, I hand each of the students a small stack of index cards (approx. 6 or 7). Written on each index card is a word that was practiced during the lesson, as well as one index card that has only a period. The combined cards create a sentence. The student is to take the cards, sound out each word and put them in an order that makes sense in the form of a sentence. The student then places the period at the end to show me that he is finished. Once I see the period placed, I check his response. If the student is incorrect (the sentence does not make sense or he is unable to read the sentence to me) I tap his shoulder and he knows to try again. If he is correct, I hand him a beginning reading book and he can read and illustrate the meaning of the story while he waits on the rest of the class to finish the Scramble.
The students have responded very positively to this activity. They seem to really enjoy being challenged and it has definitely improved their comprehension levels in D.I.

Fortunately, my students are beginning to see the importance and need for reading and are utilizing these skills outside the D.I. classroom. As hoped, my students seem to realize these are fundamental skills in their everyday reading and writing. The skills taught and learned in D.I seem to no longer be getting left at the D.I. door.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad that your use of manipulatives with DI has been going so well! I like your idea for assessment of comprehension by using the index cards and am glad that your students are receptive to the new things and ways in which they are learning. It's great to see students enjoy learning and new challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the problem with DI is that often the skills don't seem generalizable. It sounds like you are doing a good job at trying to do this. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your students loved the hands on manipulatives, my students love when we pull something out they can touch! I use whiteboards everyday with math and they are wonderful. It keeps kids engaged and you are able to informally assess in such an easy way!

    ReplyDelete